At an altitude f 2800 m towards the east of Trongsa lies the four valleys of Bumthang, Chumey, Choekhor, Tang and Ura. Bumthang is known for its honey and cheese production. These valleys are the home to its most ancient and precious Buddhist sites. The tales of Guru Padsambhava and his re-incarnates still linger in most nook and corners of Bumthang now becoming sacred grounds.
Places of interest around Bumthang
Jakar Dzong : Built by the first Trongsa Governor. While wondering where to built a fortress for the administration in Bumthang region, he found a folk of white birds at the site of the present dzong, which was taken the sign of auspicious and built the fort in 1646 and named Jakar dzong, white bird fortress, It now serves as the administrative body and the state monastery for the Bumthang valley.
Jambey Lhakhang : Built in 7th century by the first Tibetan Buddhist King, Songtsen Gyambo believed to be the reincarnation of the Buddha of Compassion. Out of the 108 monasteries built by the king in the Himalayan region to subdue the demon 2 are found in Bhutan. Jambey in Bumthang and Kichu in Paro.
Kurjey Lhakhang : Surrounded by 108 chorten walls, kurjey Lhakhang, consists of three temples. The one on the right built in 1652 is where Guru Rimpoche meditated in the 8th century. Second temple built on the site of a cave with the imprint of Guru’s body is considered the most holy. The third temple was recently built by the present Royal Grand Mother.
Tamshing Lhakhang located on the other side of the river , opposite the Kurjey Lhakhang was founded in 1501 by Terton Pema Lingpa, the re-incarnation of Guru Padmasambhava. The Lhakhang has very ancient religious paintings. The temple was restored at the end of the 19th century.
Member Tsho (The Burning Lake): This sacred site of Bhutan is where Pema Lingpa found the treasures hidden by Guru Padsambhava and thus became a terton, a ‘discoverer of religious treasures’