One of the most beautiful valley in Bhutan, Paro stands at an attitude of 2.200 meters. It is a home to many sacred sites, the most sacred and the most popular being the Taktsang Monastry (tiger’s nest). The country’s only airport is located in Paro and is also the home to the National Museum. Paro is also one of the most fertile valleys in the Country.
Places of interest
Rinpung Dzong: Built in the year 1646 during the time of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, this fortress also known as the “Fortress of the Heaps of Jewels” now houses the administrative offices of the Paro Dzongkhag. The Paro Tsechu (religious festival) is also The architectural work of the fortress is a worth a visit.
Ta Dzong: This circular shaped Dzong was built in 1951 as a watch tower to protect Rinpung Dzong during the 17th century inter valley wars. It was later re-established as the National Museum in 1967. With collections ranging from arts, relics, paintings and a wide range of the exquisite Bhutanese postage stamps, it has been rated among the best natural history museums in Asia
Taktsang Monastery: Also popularly known as the Tiger’s Nest is perched on the side of a cliff 900m above the Paro valley. Legend has it that Guru Padsambhava flew on the back of a tigress from Singye Dzong in Lhuntse to meditate in a cave where Taktsang Monastery now stands. This site is recognized as one of the most sacred place and was visited by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal in 1646. The main structure was damaged during a fire in 1998 but this has been now restored to its original splendor.
Drugyal Dzong: Built in 1646 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to commemorate his victory over the Tibetan invaders in 1644. This Dzong has been strategically built over the only passage into Paro valley. This location helped the Bhutanese repel several from the Tibetan armies. Invasions. The Drukgyel Dzong remained was destroyed by fire in 1951 and now only the ruins of this victorious fortress remains.
Kyichu Lhakhang: One of the oldest and most sacred, Kyichu Lhakhang is composed of twin temples, the first temple was built by the Tibetan King, Tsongtsen Gampo in the 7th century and the second was built by Her Royal Highness the Royal Grandmother, Ashi Kesang Choden Wangchuck in 1968.