Wangdue Phodrang

Wangdue Phodrang at an altitude of 1300m/4265 ft is  located towards the south of Punakha, the higher ridges of the valley provides rich pastureland for the cattle. This district is also famous for its fine bamboo work and its slate and stone carvings.

Places of interest around Wangdue Phodrang
Wangdue Phodrang Dzong: Situated on a ridge overlooking a river was built in the 1638. The position of the Dzong covers the spur and commands an impressive view over both the north-south and east-west roads. In the 17th century, Wangdue Phodrang played a critical role in unifying the Western, Central and Southern districts of Bhutan.

Gangtey Gompa/Phobjikha Valley
Further  towards the east of Wangdue Phodrang, Gangtey Gompa, a monastery which dates back to the 16th century is the only monastry following the Pelling Nyingmapa sect. The Phobjikha valley is the home to the rare Black Necked Crane, that migrate from the Tibetan plateau during winter.
Phobjika Valley: a glacial valley is the chosen home for rare black-necked cranes, which spend the winters here (they migrate from the Tibetan plateau).
Gangtey Village and Monastery: the monastery was established 1613